ATTENTION TO THE MUMS… Have you had your Post-Natal Physiotherapy Assessment??
As we know, pregnancy and childbirth causes dramatic changes to the female body.
Why do I need to have one?
As we know, pregnancy and childbirth causes dramatic changes to the female body. All new mums and babies attend a 6 week check with their medical clinic yet their routine care often ends there and the mother is left to recover without guidance.
Just think about how much ante-natal care you received yet you then only receive one post-natal appointment where your pelvic floor may not have even been checked!?
The purpose of a Post-Natal Physiotherapy appointment is to check your current recovery and if desired facilitate your rehabilitation to ensure you return to your prior health, exercise, and well-being and prevent issues from coming about!
A Women’s Health Physiotherapy Assessment is beneficial for all post partum women, regardless of delivery number, type, or length of time since you delivered!
What will be checked?
- Pelvic Floor Strength, Function, & Co-ordination
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse Assessment
- Perineal tissue/ scar assessment
- Abdominal wall function and rectus diastasis assessment
- Core muscle activation & strength
- Whole body musculoskeletal assessment
- Posture and body biomechanics
- Movement patterns, exercise form and techniques
What can I expect after the assessment?
What input you receive after your post natal assessment is completely dependent on the findings of the assessment and your individual goals. Some people may want ongoing input and guidance for their post-natal rehab to get them back to particular exercises/sports/goals however others may come for a one off check and reassurance that their body is recovering ok post baby. Either one is absolutely fine! In the assessment Claire always incorporates some form of treatment (again dependent on the findings) however it could include input about:
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation and exercises
- Abdominal wall strengthening (to assist with rectus diastasis)
- Core strengthening exercises
- Prolapse education, treatment, and prevention
- Perineal/caesarean scar massage
- Return to exercise programs, classes, and/or advice
- Posture corrections and mobility exercises
- Advice and education on: healthy bladder and bowel habits, return to intercourse, activity modifications and correct techniques
Who completes the assessment?
Claire, our physiotherapist who specialises in the area of women’s health. Claire has post-graduate education in women’s health and has worked in Brisbane, London, and now the Gold Coast.
When should I book & how?
A post-natal physiotherapy assessment can be booked any time post delivery. It is entirely dependent on what is going on with your body and when you feel able to get to the studio. Another thing to highlight is that a women’s health check can be completed at any time in a women’s post natal period. There is a huge lack of awareness about post-natal rehabilitation so it’s not too late if you are even years post-natal! Every women at some point in their life should have a pelvic floor check!
To book or if you would like for information please call the Reception Team at The Living Well Studio on 5535 5667 or email Claire directly at [email protected]